Professor of “Electrical Engineering, Optoelectronics, Photonics”
University of Montpellier (UM), Institut d’Electronique et des Systèmes (IES) UMR CNRS 5214, Campus St Priest, 34000 Montpellier, France
Phone: +33 / 467 143 280; email: email@example.com
Currently JSPS visiting research fellow at:
The University of Tokyo, Institute for Nano Quantum Information Electronics, 4-6-1 Komaba, Meguro-ku, Tokyo 153-8505, Japan
- 1999: Certification of ability to supervise research (Habilitation à Diriger les Recherches, HDR), University of Nice-Sophia-Antipolis, France. Epitaxy and characterization of semiconductor heterostructures for optoelectronic applications.
- 1990: PhD, University of Montpellier, France (military service in 1986-87) Liquid phase epitaxy of GaInAsSb and InAsSbP solid solutions. Application to the fabrication of lasers and photodetectors operating near 2.5 μm. Advisor: Prof. A. Joullié
- 1986: Ingénieur (Master of Engineering) in Materials Sciences, University of Montpellier, France.
- 2019 – 2020: JSPS fellow, visiting professor, The University of Tokyo, Prof. Arakawa’s group.
- Since 2002: Professor, Electrical Engineering Department, Université de Montpellier, UMR CNRS 5214, France. Development of GaSb-based compounds and optoelectronic devices. Lecturing in Electrical Engineering and Photonics. Head of the "mid-IR optoelectronics" group (www.nanomir.edu.umontpellier.fr )
- 1993 – 2002: CNRS Research Scientist, CNRS, CRHEA, UPR 10, Valbonne-Sophia-Antipolis, France. Wide bandgap II-VI compounds (ZnSe-based) for visible optoelectronics. Dilute-nitrides (GaInNAs) for telecom lasers.
- 1993: Scientist, Paul-Drude-Institut für Festkörperelektronik, Berlin, Germany. MBE growth of III-V nanostructures on non-(001) substrate orientations.
- 1990 – 1993: Scientist, Max-Planck-Institut für Festkörperforschung, Stuttgart, Germany.MBE growth and properties of highly mismatched heterostructures (InAs on InP and GaAs) for IR optoelectronics.MBE growth of III-V nanostructures on non-(001) substrate orientations.
AWARDS - HONORS
- 2014 : Senior member, IEEE
- 2012 : Senior member, Institut Universitaire de France (IUF)
- 1999 : Bronze medal from CNRS.
- 1990 : Young Scientist Award, E-MRS, fall meeting.
- ISI WoS data (9th Oct 2018): 251 occurrences, 3242 citations, h = 33.
- ∼60 invited talks at international conferences.
- ∼30 invited talks at national conferences, or seminars at foreignor French laboratories.
- 10 book chapters.
- Co-editor of 2books and 3 SPIE proceedings.
- 2 patents
- “Lasere mission system, heterostructure and active zone having coupled quantum sub-wells, and use for 1.55 μm laser emission”, L. Cerutti, J.B. Rodriguez, E. Tournié. Ref.: FR20090005726 (2009), WO2011064475 (A1) (2011).
- “Monolithic mid-infrared source based on an antimonide laser diode and quasi phase matching”, A. Grisard, S. Roux, B. Gérard, E. Tournié, L. Cerutti. Submitted December 2017.
- 3 currently running PhD thesis
- 21 PhD thesis successfully defended between 1996 and 2019.
SERVICE (main duties)
- "Fund rising and exhibition Chairperson", 34th International Conference on the Physics of Semiconductors (ICPS 2018), 29 July – 3 August 2018, Montpellier (France).
- General chair of the 19th International Conference on Molecular-Beam Epitaxy, 4 – 9 September 2016, Montpellier, France (http://www.mbe2016.com).
- General co-chair of the XIIth “Mid-Infrared Optical Materials and Devices” (MIOMD-XII), 5 – 9 October 2014, Montpellier, France.
- General chair of International Symposium on Compound Semiconductors(ISCS), 11–15 May 2014, Montpellier, France.
- Co-chair of the “Quantum Sensing and Nanophotonics” conference, SPIE Photonics West, San Francisco: 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2019.
- ∼70 participations to Advisory Boards and Program/Scientific Committees of international conferences.
- Associate Editor Electronics Letters (since 2016).
- Editorial board member of IOP J. Phys. D: Applied Physics, in the Semiconductor and Photonics
section (2010 – 2016).
- Expert for French Ministry of Education and Research (MESRI): expertise of collaborative
international research projects (since 2015, ∼1 expertise/month).
- Chair of the evaluation committee of the nanosciences/nanotech program of the French national
research agency (ANR), (2014).
- Member of the evaluation committee of the nanosciences/nanotech program of the French
national research agency (ANR), (2009 – 2012).
- Expert for ERC Advanced Grants (1 expertise in 2014).
- Expert for French ANR: several expertises each year.
- Expert for French HCERES (institution in charge of evaluating universities and research labs):
o 2019: Member of the evaluation committee of IRT nanoelec(irtnanoelec.fr/)
o 2016: Chair of the evaluation committee of LMOPS(lmops.univ-lorraine.fr/)
o 2015: Member of the evaluation committee of IMS(ims-bordeaux.fr)
o 2014: Member of the evaluation committee of LAAS(laas.cnrs.fr)
o 2010: Chair of the evaluation committee of FOTON laboratory(2010):foton.cnrs.fr/v2012/
- Elected member of national research council (CoNRS) in charge of recruiting CNRS scientists in the field of electronics, electrical engineering, optoelectronics, photonics (2012 – 2016, section 8).
- 20/65 participations to HDR/PhD committees outside my laboratory (15 abroad).
University of Montpellier – Research:
Since 2005: Head of the “nanostructure based devices for mid-IR applications” (nanoMIR) research
group of IES.
- PI for UM in the ANR project LightUp “mid-ir quantum cascade Laser Integrated on Ge-based
pHoTonics circuits”, February 2020 – January 2024. Budget: 288 k€ for UM.
- PI for UM in the H2020 ITN project OPTAPHI “Optical Sensing using Advanced Photo-Induced
Effects”, January 2020 – December 2024. Budget: 825 k€ for UM.
- PIforUMintheH2020PhotonicsKETprojectREDFINCH“Mid-InfraRedFullyIntegratedChemical Sensors”, December 2017 – May 2021. Budget: 492 k€ for UM.
- PI for UM in the H2020 ITN PROMIS “Postgraduate Research on Dilute Metamorphic Nanostructures and Metamaterials in Semiconductor Photonics”, January 2015 – December 2018. Budget: 505 k€ for UM.
- Workpackageleader(MaterialsforEnergy)intheH2020ITNPROMIS“PostgraduateResearchon Dilute Metamorphic Nanostructures and Metamaterials in Semiconductor Photonics”, January 2015 – December 2018.
- PI for UM in the ANR project “ANTIPODE”: Advanced aNalysis of III-V/Si nucleaTIon for highly integrated PhOtonic Devices, January 2015 – June 2018. Budget 52 k€ for UM.
- Coordinator of ANR ASTRID project “GreatGaSby”: “Orientation-patterned waveguides for tunable mid-infrared GaSb laser diodes”. February 2014 – January 2017. Budget: 100 k€ for UM.
- PI for UM in the ANR project “MOREMIR”: Multiwavelength Optical micRosourcEs on silicon for Mid-InfraRed integrated sensing. January 2013 – October 2016. Budget: 120 k€ for UM.
- Coordinator of ANR project “OPTOSi”: Epitaxial Integration of III-V optoelectronic devices on Si.
November 2012 – August 2016. Budget: 300 k€ for UM.
- CoordinatorofEquipEx“EXTRA:EXcellencecenTeRonAntimonides”,grantedinthe2011call. Budget: 4.2 M€ pour UM.
- PI for UM in the SUDOE European project “TRAIN2”: Trans-Pyrenees Action on Advanced Infrastructures for Nanosciences and Nanotechnology, coordinated by University of Saragoza. 2011 – 2012. Budget: 300 k€ for UM.
- PI for UM in a CNRS project, call 2009: Measuring with quantum cascade lasers: an IR optical insulator based on Faraday effect. Coordinator: L. Hillico (LKB).
- Coordinator of ANR project “MIRNANO”: Mid-IR optoelectronics with Sb-based nanostructure. April 2009 – March 2012. Budget: 250 k€ for UM2.
- PIforUMintheEuropeanSTREP“NEMIS”(FP6–031845):NEwMidInfra-Redsourcesforphotonic Sensors, coordinated by Walter-Schottky Institut (Munich). September 2006 – December 2009. Budget: 530 k€ for UM2.
- Coordinator of European STREP “DOMINO”(FP6-017383):Antimonides-based quantum-dots for nanophotonic devices. June 2005 – May 2008. Budget: 540 k€ for UM2.
University of Montpellier (UM) and CNRS – Administration:
- 2012–2016:electedmemberofnationalresearchcouncil,inchargeofrecruitingCNRSscientists in the field of electronics, electrical engineering, optoelectronics, photonics.
- 2012:Deputy Director of Sciences Facultyat UM,incharge of B.Sc.degrees(7000students).
- 2010–2012:coordinator for UM of year-2andyear-3B.Sc.grades(12B.Sc.,5000students).
- 2008–2012:elected member of “StudiesandCampusCouncil”ofUM(CEVU).
- 2003–2006:Director of the Electrical Engineering Teaching Department(50professors/lecturers, 1 B.Sc. degree, 6 Master degrees, ∼500 students).
CRHEA – CNRS
1999 – 2002: Head of the “New III-V technologies for telecom” team
- Coordinator European STREP FET–IST–2000–26478: GaInNAs-based Semiconductor Heterostructures for 1.5 μm Opto-electronics (Budget: 350 k€ for CRHEA).
- Coordinator French photonics project: Non-linear optics in periodic-polarity semiconductors (Budget: 130 k€).
- PI for CRHEA in French project on Micro/Nano technologies: New III-V semiconductors for very- low voltage transistors for cell phones (Budget: 130 k€).